Thursday, May 24, 2007

Abstract

The class on Wednesday consisted of talking about what we thought the paintings are and how they can mean things to different people. This was the same topic in my Gender Studies class and we also came to the conclusion that art, especially abstract, can be interpreted in many ways that are individual. This idea was turned around when I read the quote “It is our function as artists to make the spectator see our way, not his.” This struck me as surprising because abstract art doesn’t have a strict path that it leads you to think about like other art. I thought the point of abstract art was to make the mind wonder and have personal meaning that everyone would interpret it differently. This statement from the painter himself kind of ruins what abstract art was for me.

No comments: