Thursday, May 31, 2007


The Quote “The Tomb in Palestine is not the porch of spirits lingering. It is the grave of Jesus, where he lay” from the poem struck me at first as a mockery of Jesus and his final resting place. Because I am catholic I took offence to this and thought it was wrong. I then thought that this is just one example of a holy place that he doesn’t believe is spiritual. Many religions have holy or sacred places, were major events have happened, that are praised.

I took notice that I personally as a catholic shouldn’t be the only person upset when I heir this because he is dismissing all holy places of all time. All religions have a starting place and at that location is usually kept sacred and made into a homage point. For example Muslims have to make the homage to Mecca once in there life time. This is characteristic of almost all religions; Christians and Jews to Jerusalem The list could go on and on for holy sites around the world.

Many wars have been fought over places such as these that Stevens explains as simply just anther place on our beautiful earth. After thinking about it for a while Stevens makes more sense than I had first thought. I don’t agree with him completely that religion should be dismissed altogether but these specific holy places are kept very high on many peoples priority list which isn’t rite. I don’t believe this is rite because God is in every thing and can be seen anywhere; he is not only present at Jesus’ tomb but in all places.

No comments: