Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Tattoos

I thought it was interesting that a tattoo was inspiration and indirectly related to one of his paintings. This struck me because we studied about tattoos and what they represent in Gender Studies. The article states “The Haida tattoo of the woman in the moon used by Jung, for example, relates indirectly to Moon Woman Cuts the Circle. He also discussed the Hiawatcha legend at length. Hiawatha, for Jung an archetype of the mythical hero, had a grandmother who had lived in the moon.” This shows that the tattoo that was of inspiration to him has mythical decent and is based on some sort of religion. Religion, as we learned in gender studies, is a major theme for the bases of many tattoos. Many kinds of crosses and praying hands can be found in tattooing along with devils and other symbols showing the rejection of religion or faith. I took special interest in the tattoo theme because I myself have a tattoo and incorporated religion into it. A first look at my tattoo would not show any religious meaning but to me a three leaf clover is a symbol of the holy trinity of the Christian faith that will be with me forever. Many others have the same thought about having their faith with them at all times and for eternity. There are even many websites and things about religious tattoos, check the link out.

No comments: