Thursday, May 17, 2007

Quiet Response

After reading about silence in Cate Frazier Cate Frazier's Blog I thought about my experiences in nature, especially hunting. I know it sounds opposite to what she was talking about, but don’t worry I am a bad hunter and don’t accomplish the goal of the sport very often. Even though I don’t take much meat home I still go out in the woods for the hunt but not for the specific reason of killing a deer but for the same sort of thing that Cate felt in the green house. The silence and wonders of how nature works and continues without our human input is what keeps me interested. I feel a strong connection to God in the silence of nature and this is the reason I now take time to go out in the woods or by the river to escape reality and experience God in prayer.

One more thing hit me after reading “we feel less than life when we feel unimportant, unaccomplished, and depressed.” This thought made me think of what non-religious people would do in a situation where they feel unimportant or depressed, and figured most would talk or go to their significant other. Then I remembered the saying you know you have a good relationship when you can sit for hours with your significant other and not say a word. This is the same idea with the higher power or God; we talk or pray when we have problems and just sit in silence and feel completely comfortable other times. This all just shows that what we said in class, religion doesn’t have presences in everything but religion is just another simple cognitive output to fill voids in our live, is true.

No comments: