Thursday, May 24, 2007

Response to Oliver

After considering Oliver’s new view on religion I thought some of his points have legitimacy. I do agree that religion is a set of ideas and beliefs within an individual that they think are “right” or correct. Oliver states that “religious institutions are communities that are formed around similar sets of religious beliefs in individuals” which I don’t believe is correct. Oliver omits the fact that most individuals learned the beliefs from the Religious community around them not the other way around. I do agree that most individuals in the community share the same or close to the same beliefs which lead him to make the point about the “avid group of Packer Fans.” This statement is not strong because we spent a lot of time in class talking about how many other groups and organizations have the same natural basic human components that compose Religion. Lastly I think there still is some confusion about the large arch. The same problems that arose in class are still there and I don’t think that going with the individual theory has to necessarily eliminate the largest arch.

No comments: